Hello Dave,

Saturday, February 23, 2002, 1:50:39 AM, you wrote:

>>> I have found a few sites that let you download Demo versions,
>>> but I dont think they can be activated by Symantec anymore.
>>> Can someone be so nice as to point me to where they purchased
>>> their copy??

DC> Ebay is pretty good for older stuff and I've bought some great
DC> software bargains over the last few months. Make sure you buy
DC> from people with good customer reviews.

DC> BTW, unless I'm totally missing something, I don't have any
DC> problems with 2002 and TB! But I use SystemWorks Pro and Norton
DC> AV is just one element in that suite.

DC> With best wishes,

DC> Dave

DC> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
DC> David Conroy MSW
DC> Personal Life and Business Coaching World-wide
DC> http://www.e-coaching-only.com  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
DC> Member International Coach Federation, ID 1006660.

DC> PGP Key on request mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=send_pgp
DC> Instant Messaging on request mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=send_im

DC> Using The Bat! v1.54 Beta/42
DC> Windows 2000 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 2

Thanks to everyone for all the responses.

    To Dave: The reason that I wanted 2001 rather than 2002,
    is what I
    read in these 2 posts:

    *Originally posted by Geoff Lane*
Has NAV 2002 actually detected a virus in your email? If so, did it
require you to intervene in some way?

The problem is that NAV waits for your input, which stops the download
from completing. Thus, the problem only manifests when NAV detects a
virus.

FWIW, I wanted to increase the number of NAV licenses on my network.
This was to counter viruses that can propagate by attacking web
servers. I assumed that NAV Corporate Edition or NAV 2002 would be
appropriate and contacted Symantec (no mean feat) to ask their
recommendation. Symantec told me that NAV Corporate Edition has no
email scanning and NAV 2002 cannot be configured to work with either
TB or my mail server (VPOP3) in the way that I wanted. They actually
advised me to go to third party vendors and look for "old stock" NAV
2001, telling me that they couldn't even sell additional licenses for
the software that I already have!

*End Quote*

   *Originally posted by John Rainer*

It is also important to know the differences between 2001 and 2002, as
the email scanning mechanism is very different. There is no autodelete
function for mail downloads in 2002 and both quarantine and repair on
the mail scanner require user input, so any virus detection stops the
mail download until this is done. After the 20th badtrans, this gets
very tiresome. In 2001, infected mail attachments can be deleted by
the mail scanner without interrupting the download at all, leaving the
mail body intact and a virus information text file in place of the
attachment.

Symantec's advice on this change in 2002 is to turn the mail scanner
off and rely on the resident scanner, as Geoff has indicated for 2001.
This will have exactly the same problem (manual deleting of each
infected attachment) unless you configure the resident scanner to
autodelete which, unlike the mail scanner in 2002, can be done. This
is, however, rather dangerous as it means that infections from other
sources that affect system files could possibly lead to the deletion
of system files before you have a chance to repair them, depending on
what stage Norton picks the virus up. This is one reason why a
separate mail scanner can be a good idea. Set the resident scanner to
autoquarantine and it gets round this problem but still leaves
quarantine filled up with infected files which have to be dealt with
sometime.

I had a lengthy correspondence with Symantec techies about the changes
in 2002 and I got the distinct impression that they were not too keen
on some of these themselves. It seems they were forced on them by
their customer services people, who wanted a mail scanner that didn't
require each account to be configured. They could only give them one
at the expense of losing other functionality.

I went back to 2001 - this works in XP, btw, if you run the symevent
update file before rebooting after installation.

*End quote*

It seems that 2001 is better in the fact that it requires no user
input, and will continue to download in the event that a virus is
detected. Also I am interested in an auto delete function, which
2002 doesnt seem to have according to Mr. Rainer. I am of the beleif,
that if there is *any* threat of a virus at all, I would much rather
have it deleted before I ever get to see it.

Does 2002 have the virtual pop server like 2001 does?? No
one ever mentioned that in any of the posts. Please excuse my
ignorance.

Everyone seemed so happy with 2001, I figured
that would be best. :)

Thanks

 John                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]