Saturday, March 30, 2002, 9:20:01 PM, Marck wrote:
MDP> Hi Dave,

MDP> @31 March 2002, 20:38:22 -0500 (02:38 UK time) Dave Braze wrote in
MDP> [EMAIL PROTECTED]">mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

MDP>>> To access the alternative addresses, you have to bring up the
MDP>>> address picker window while addressing the message.

>> Excuse my ignorance, but how do you do this (preferably without the
>> mouse)?

MDP> I can't figure out a way to do it without the mouse. First you click
MDP> on the Address book icon at the end of the message address line (To,
MDP> CC:, BCC, etc). That takes you to the "Address Picker" window.

I see. It would be very (very) nice to have a keystroke that activated the
address picker whenever the focus is on an address field in the message
editor. It seems to me that all functions commonly used to fire off an
email should be easily accessible through the keyboard alone.

MDP>>> In the address picker, right click a name in the address list on
MDP>>> the left.

>> Again, can it be done without touching the mouse?

MDP> That's easier. Use tab to switch between Group and Name selection to
MDP> find the Group and Individual you want to pick an address for. Press
MDP> Shift-F10 (or "Menu") key.

MDP>>> Where a name has multiple addresses, the "Add address" option has a
MDP>>> drop down sub-menu which contains a list of the alternative
MDP>>> addresses. Choose the correct address from there.

Ah. Better. In my Bat, the address picker comes up with focus on the
"Quick Search" widget. If you enter enough to identify the individual
you want, then you can hit tab to change to the address pane and go from
there. Alt-1 will insert the first address from the selected AB entry,
but you have to remember to check if there is more than one address by
actually calling up the menu (shift-f10). Maybe it wouldn't be too much
to ask for a column in the address pane with a flag indicating whether
there are multiple entries for an AB entry. This alone would go some
ways toward addressing the issue below.

>> Sometimes I forget that a contact has more than one email address.
>> It would be nice if there were some indication in the edit-message
>> window that an address that's been "auto-filled" (by way of a
>> nickname, for example) is but one of a set of alternatives.

Two possibilities would seem helpful from the usability standpoint.

(1) Whenever a nickname is entered into an adddress field that has more
than one email address associated with it (the AB entry, really), then
popup a dialog allowing the user to select which one(s) he wants.

(2) As an alternative, perhaps there could be a configurable option for
nicknames to insert all available addresses associated with an AB entry,
then you could delete the ones you don't want.

MDP> It would be nice, but that sounds like it could be quite a bit of code
MDP> and intelligence for so small a function. Still, who knows? Perhaps
MDP> it's worth shoving into the wish list.

I can't speak to how much code and work would be required to instantiate
the function, but it doesn't seem like a small bit of functionality.
Certainly it's not the most important issue, but for an email program,
anything that helps the user to locate and access correct addresses
should be considered a core part of the functionality.

Anyhow, thank you for your help and your thoughts. Do you think it would
be useful to forward this to Ritlabs as a request for features?

--
Dave Braze                           mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Using The Bat! 1.60c on Windows 95 4.0 Build 1212 b