The problem here is very simple to fix - and I'm sure I've sent it in
as a 'wish'.  Again, PMMAIL (as far as I'm concerned the only other
email program on the planet worth using) does it 'right' IMHO.

Mail notification should be there to NOTIFY you that you have new
mail.  Once I ACKNOWLEDGE that I have new mail, that indicator needs
to go away - whether I read the mail or not.

On PMMAIL, the icon changes to denote new mail.  As soon as you bring
the program into focus, the icon reverts back to its original state -
disregarding your actions (whether you choose to read mail or not).

Let's say its midnight, and you're working on a project and really
don't want to be disturbed, but its 'spam hour' and you haven't put
all your 800 filters back in.  10 misleading messages come in, some
might actually be worthy, others are obviously spam.  You may or may
NOT want to address these emails now - but dammit, you want the
notification cleared.  Currently, there is no means to do that.

My recommendation from a usability standpoint, would be to have the
following options:

1) Allow the current configuration options to remain
2) Add option "Clear notification upon Restore".
   - New mail comes in, icon changes to animated or 'different'
   - Bring program to front, icon reverts to its normal state
3) Add a right click 'dismiss notification' to the context menu of the
systray icon.

Thanks for listening and thanks for the best email program around!

--
Shane R. Monroe
Dark Unicorn Productions