This is one of those threads I haven't been tracking, but something
now pulled me in, and going back through what I still have on my
system, is a message with this text:

MW> If I send you a mid: link to some other folder in my system it's
MW> useless to you. And a waste of bandwidth,

The idea of an MID link seems like a good idea to me, but I don't
understand this description of an MID being a link to a folder.  Isn't
the folder issue a completely separate issue?  The point is that the
users decide how to arrange their own archives, but the MID is a quick
way to find a specific message within those archives.  And if the user
needs a particular folder as a hint for where to focus the MID, then
perhaps the archiving system is deficient.  Again, that's not a reason
not to use MID's.