In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Ben Kennish [BK] wrote:
BK> I have never understood this complaint of HTML messages.

BK> I am not an admirer of HTML messages (although sometimes I think I
BK> would like to be able to make text bold etc without using *s or
BK> whatever). But surely HTML messages are horrid because they are
BK> slow, and a security risk?

Just remember that when you send HTML, you often force the recipient
to view the message in fonts and font sizes the recipient doesn't
prefer or just finds plain difficult to read. I'm subscribed to a list
where many of the participants post using HTML. I usually find the
fonts used in the HTML formatting too small to read. I'm quite sure
this is because I am running a 1600x1200 resolution.

TB! isn't a browser and you can't just go into it's settings and
optimize the font sizes when viewing the HTML messages where the font
and font sizes have been defined as they usually are. I'm sure you've
also visited web sites where even increasing the font size doesn't
help much and you have to squint (*bad web page design*).

With HTML mail, you take away the control from the recipient!! I think
this is just as big a problem as bandwidth issues.

TB!'s ability to strip the text out and present a plain text version
to me is a godsend, or else I'd find it really difficult to read the
messages from that list. Of course, asking that they not post in HTML
would likely cause reactions like "what's that guys problem anyway?"
as I've witnessed in the past. It's not surprising that they post
viruses so often as well. These behaviours go hand in hand and stem
from a common problem .... just ignorance. The person doesn't realise
there's a problem with what they do. I know I may step on some toes
here but it's true. :-)) <sigh>

I'm not saying that HTML messages don't have a place but reconsider
carefully why you're sending it and that taking away the recipient's
control is worth the benefits. I'm sure those situations exist and the
HTML formatted newsletters are always readable and well done. However,
being able to enbolden the text is just not one of them. If I could
just show you some of these messages I have, you'll be *immediately*
convinced. A lot of emboldening and underlining it done, but I can't
read the messages because the font sizes are usually so small!! :-)
Hi all.
I started this thread and caused the HTML problem. I've just changed the
settings in Outlook and this should now be HTML free!? Can you please
confirm that I've been successful?
Also, 1.60q has already hung on me a couple of times! Especially when going
into sorting office. Any ideas why?
Thanks all.
Chris.

- --
 -=Allie C Martin=-
List Moderator | TB! v1.60q | Windows XP Pro
PGP/GPG Public Key: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=2B0717E2

Bug Reports: https://bt.ritlabs.com