On Wednesday, June 12, 2002, Paddy L wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

PL> Can't get Mozilla 1.0 to use TB! for default MailTo. Anyone using
PL> TB! with Mozilla?

Paddy,

Mozilla is set to use its own mailer for mailto: links, even if your
Internet preferences specify a different program.  In order to change
that behavior, you have to change Mozilla's preferences.

With Mozilla closed down (*very important*), add a line to your
user.js file.  If you don't have a user.js file, create one as a plain
text file.  It will be located in your profile directory, which on a
Windows 98 platform if you haven't changed the default directories
would be c:\windows\application
data\mozilla\profiles\your_username\salted_directory_name.

Insert the entire following line in the existing or new user.js file
(with Mozilla closed down):

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.external.mailto", true);

Rebooting might not be necessary, but couldn't hurt.

Disclaimer:  I tried this and all h*** broke loose, but it's possible
that I didn't have Mozilla closed down.  I had to restore my prefs.js
(a file which Moz writes based on its defaults and your user.js) from
a prior backup.  I haven't tried it again with Moz closed down, but it
is reputed to work.  For more details and tweaking possibilities, see:
http://www.hmetzger.de/net6e.html

--
JN