Hi, Marck.  See my comments below.   They are in capital letters (this message
only) to distinguish them from the old text, but, I am *not* shouting.

|--------+------------------------>
|        |          Marck D       |
|        |          Pearlstone    |
|        |          <marck@silvers|
|        |          tones.com>    |
|        |                        |
|        |          07/17/2002    |
|        |          05:39 PM      |
|        |          Please respond|
|        |          to tbudl      |
|        |                        |
|--------+------------------------>
  >--------------------------------------------------------|
  |      To:     "[EMAIL PROTECTED] on TBUDL"            |
  |       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>@SMTP@cchntmsd         |
  |      cc:                                               |
  |      Subject:     Re: downloading e-mail on home       |
  |       network to computer A using  computer B          |
  >--------------------------------------------------------|

<moderator>
First things first. Avram. That was an excellent example of how *Nnot*
to write a reply on this list.

Top quoting - a nono.
Too much quoting - a nono.

PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGIES.  THE RULES MAKE SENSE.  THE REASON IT HAPPENED THIS
TIME IS THAT I AM ON A NUMBER OF LISTS AND THIS IS THE ONLY ONE FOR WHICH THIS
IS A HARD RULE, AND, UNTIL RECENTLY, HADN'T USED THE LIST SO MUCH.  ALSO, WHEN I
AM AT THE OFFICE, TOP QUOTING FOR INTERNAL MAIL IS THE NORM, SO I FORGET WHEN I
AM RESPONDING TO OUTSIDE MAIL.  AFTER THIS NOTE,  I WILL CUT AND PASTE AND
INSERT QUOTES (WHICH I WILL HAVE TO DO MANUALLY--SEE BELOW)
<stock lecture>
You're using the "Outlook" standard reply format, one that I find
awful (but I'm feeling more like Canute by the day on that score). It
is called "top quoting" and means that you let the quotes appear at
the bottom and type your reply at the top.

AT THE OFFICE, I AM ACTUALLY USING LOTUS NOTES.  UNLIKE THE BAT, LOTUS PUTS THE
OLD MESSAGE AT THE BOTTOM AND DOES NOT PUT QUOTES, CARRETS, OR ANY OTHER
IDENTIFYING MATERIAL IN FRONT OF THE LINES OF THE OLD MESSAGE.  THUS, IF ONE
RESPONDS BY INTERSPERSING COMMENTS, AS I AM NOW DOING, UNLESS ONE WERE TO GO
THROUGH THE TEDIOUS EXERCISE OF PLACING A QUOTE MARK BEFORE EACH LINE OR CUTTING
AND PASTING (AND STILL INSERTING QUOTATION MARKS), USING CAPITAL LETTERS, AS I
AM NOW DOING, IS THE ONLY WAY TO DISTINGUISH OLD MATERIAL FROM NEW MATERIAL.  OF
COURSE, THIS ONLY WORKS ONCE AND I KNOW THAT ORDINARILY, CAPS HAVE A GRATING
EFFECT ON A FAIR NUMBER OF PEOPLE.  I COULD ALSO USE A DIFFERENT COLOR PEN.  EG,
THIS SENTENCE IS WRITTEN IN BLUE.  HOWEVER, I DON'T KNOW IF NON-LOTUS USERS CAN
SEE THE FORMATTING CHANGE. However, if this can be seen by all users, then this
is probably the most expedient way to respond without inserting quotes or using
caps.

I have many reasons to *not* prefer the "top quoting" method:

[SNIP]

I AGREE WITH ALL OF YOUR POINTS, BUT UNLESS YOU HAVE ANY ALTERNATIVE
SUGGESTIONS, IT IS A PAIN TO HAVE TO INSERT QUOTE MARKS BEFORE EACH
LINE--ALTHOUGH I DO DO IT OFTEN ENOUGH

[SNIP]

Now - to business:

AS>>> How does one go about setting up The Bat on a home network ...

>> ... you can set up BAT that it downloads the mail, but it leaves on
>> the server. ...  Another alternative is you keep the mail on the
>> server for 1 or 2 days.

Correct.

> what if the laptop user downloads a second time before the desktop
> user has a chance to download?

Nothing. Each user will only download once.

BUT I ONLY WANT MAIL TO BE STORED ON ONE COMPUTER...THE DESKTOP.  HARD DRIVE
REAL ESTATE ON THE LAPTOP IS MORE PRECIOUS AND  I DONT WANT TO STORE MAIL ON IT.
There is a mechanism to
ensure this. Already received messages are ignored.

EVEN IF DOWNLOADED BY A DIFFERENT COMPUTER ON THE NETWORK?
 Set both systems
to keep on server for 2 days and it will all tick along very nicely
(unless one of the systems misses a mail fetch for more than two days)

WHICH IS LIKELY. ITS MORE LIKELY THAT THE DESKTOP WILL DOWNLOAD DAILY OR EVERY
TWO DAYS.  THE LAPTOP MAY GO FOR ANYWHERE FROM 1-10 DAYS BEFORE IT'S USED TO
READ MAIL.

> I didn't ask the question, but I would also like to insure that any
> mail that is composed and sent from the laptop is also stored on the
> main (desktop) drive, rather than on the laptop. This way, all mail
> is in one place and readily accessible.

BCC it back to yourself.

BUT AGAIN, I ONLY WANT MAIL IN ONE PLACE, ON THE DESKTOP

Alternatively to the "leave on server" scheme:

1) Configure TB in client / server mode. This is not a very well known
   or practiced configuration but is *is* in the help file.

CAN YOU EXPLAIN TO A NEOPHYTE (ME) WHAT THIS MEANS?  THANKS.

2) Configure TB to use a shared path on the network as the root for
   the MAIL folder and work on the same real files.

I BELIEVE SOMEONE ELSE SUGGESTED THIS AS WELL.  WHEN I GET AROUND TO DOING THIS
IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS, I THINK IT LIKELY THAT I WILL TRY ONE OF THESE
ALTERNATIVES.  HOW IS THE CONFIGURATION DONE?

--
Avi
Avram Sacks