Hello Bernd,

> Running an IMAP server on your local server is a cool idea, but you
> will probably want to read your email from your ISP's (POP3) mail
> account.

Ack.

> Short of changing your ISP's mail technology,

Oh well, maybe... ;-)

> you might run your own IMAP server, but you'd still need something
> that fetches mail from your POP3 account and pushes it into your
> IMAP server. I'm certain there are tools available for this,

AFAIK my server application (which is still beta) actually already is
or then definitely will be able to do that.

Sort of, yes: www.eisfair.org

> The reason for mentioning TB! V2 is that the current IMAP support in
> TB! is limited to using IMAP as an alternative transport protocol,
> alternative to POP3. Meaning, TB! connects to an IMAP server,
> ignores all the nice ideas about server-side mail folders, and
> downloads the messages to local folders.

Having read your explanation below then this present IMAP-"support" of
TB! is useless. At least they have the name in there; that's a
start... ;-)

> "Proper IMAP support" means server-side folders. One can have
> multiple clients open and they are synchronized automatically; a
> message that is deleted in client 1 will disappear in client 2, a
> message written and saved as draft will appear in all other open
> clients, etc.

That is exactly what I am looking for. Who/what would synchronize
the clients - that could actually only be the IMAP-server? I haven't
really understood the technical side so far but: I do need
IMAP(v2)-support in TB! for using it the way described even with
having an IMAP-application running on my server, is that correct? If
so, well, then I got to be patient, maybe a beta is going to be
available soon, haven't heard anything lately, though.

Thanks for you explanation! IDH (it did help ;-) )

Greetings,
Alexander