Hello Thomas,

TF> Pardon me for being ignorant, but was does this Mail-Safe function in
TF> ZA do? What I can figure from the list, it changes attachment names,
TF> so that they cannot be opened any more. May make sense for OE/OL
TF> users, but then, how do *they* open attachments at all?

TF> Is it the job of this firewall to make attachments useless?

I might hope not! It just seems not to work well for everybody who
uses it or not everybody uses it correct.

According to the help-file of ZA it should do the following:
(sorry for the gigantic message!)

/-----[ MailSafe Setting ]-----

\-----

/-----[ E-mail protection ]-----

\-----

/-----[ About filename extensions ]-----

\-----

/-----[ The MailSafe quarantine ]-----
| ZoneAlarm Pro's MailSafe protects you by 'quarantining' e-mail
| attachments that may contain malicious code.
| When an e-mail with an attachment arrives...
| MailSafe examines the attachment's filename extension.
|
| If that extension (in the example at right, .BAT) is in MailSafe's
| quarantine list, ZoneAlarm Pro changes the filename extension to
| ".zl*" (where * is a number or letter.)
|
| Changing the filename extension 'quarantines' the attachment by
| keeping it from running automatically.
|
| When you open the e-mail containing the attachment...
| ZoneAlarm Pro displays a MailSafe alert to let you know it has
| quarantined the attachment. Click OK to close the alert box.
|
| When you try to open the attachment...
| ZoneAlarm Pro warns you of the potential risk in opening the
| attachment. If you're sure the file is harmless and you want to open
| it, click the Run button. You can also save the file for later.
|
| Tip Users who know how to read code can click Inspect with Notepad
| to examine the code of attachment itself.
\-----

Regards,
Erik

http://www.gmx.net