Hello Jonathan,

in [EMAIL PROTECTED]">mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED] was written:

JA> On Friday, August 30, 2002, Peter Palmreuther wrote...

MDP>>> I think that the client side Socket connection is left open and
MDP>>> until it is flagged as closed TB won't open a new one.

>> But how to tell? 'netstat' didn't show me an open socket neither on
>> my client nor on my server when I wan into that trouble.

JA> Netstat might not show an internal component having an open connection
JA> if Windows has terminated the connection, and the component didn't
JA> acknowledge it.

So the socket _ain't_ open.
the TCP stack does not know anything about it, therefore the socket ain't
open, it's only the component that hangs ... my words ...

>> And it was done. If I shut down the daemon listening to port 110 the normal
>> TCP mechanisms stepped in and the connection was terminated with an error
>> message, as it is supposed to be.

JA> This wasn't the kind of connection termination I was thinking of. The
JA> daemon in this case drops the connections safely, and reports valid
JA> terminations...

No. I killed it '-9' with no chance to do _anything_. I plugged out the
cable, so no chance to report and acknowledge _anything_ ....
--
Regards
Peter Palmreuther

Diplomacy: The art of letting someone else get your way.