Good morning, all:

Tuesday, September 10, 2002, 3:06:24 PM, Roelof wrote:
RO> Hallo David,

RO> Op dinsdag 10 september 2002, 19:06:28, schreef David R. Austen:

>> I then renamed (and so hid) "messages(no file extension)." When the
>> Bat restarted it did create another file with the name, "messages."
>> But that is also now still empty.

RO> There ought to be two of those messages files, one with a tbi
RO> extension and one with a tbb extension. If your explorer is set to
RO> "don't show extensions" it should say something like TBB file in the
RO> 'file-type' column.

Yes, it did and does show the file type. Cheers.

RO> (I'm using a Dutch Windows version, so I'm
RO> guessing about the English)

RO> However, the only places where your messages can be within TB are the
RO> messages.tbb and the Trash folder. Since you didn't mention trash, I
RO> suppose there wasn't an extraordinary amount of messages.

Yes, good idea. I have now checked Trash and it seems quite normal -
just a few messages put there each day, and not those hundreds of
September messages that are now missing.

RO> Therefore
RO> the only place should be messages.tbb. My inbox contains about 150
RO> undeleted and 900 deleted messages (that's why regularly compressing
RO> is a good idea) and is about 22 MB.

Mine is 2.03 mb, this morning. (That's normal for just 1.5 days of
messages)

RO> What's the size of your messages.tbb file (also the renamed one) that
RO> ought to give you an idea about the number of messages, not counting
RO> large attachments.

I found no .tbb file yesterday morning when I discovered my Inbox
empty. I then made a copy of the existing .tbi file (17kb). Now there
are two new files (tbi, tbb), and I am still receiving mail normally.

>> Your question: If I am not mistaken, I have kept the Inbox set to
>> compress the Inbox folder each time I quit The Bat. But I do not
>> regularly compress the *other* mail folders.

RO> Compressing the inbox on exit is a must, you can see that on mine. (I
RO> do compress on exit) But you should consider it for all folders that
RO> regularly have messages deleted.

OK. And my Inbox is still set to "compress."

>> Any other ideas about finding those hundreds of Inbox messages?

RO> Scandisk creates file####.chk (#### is a four digit number) files in
RO> the root when finding errors on a disk. You could try opening those.
RO> When they're containing messages you'd see that soon enough, since TB
RO> doesn't encode it's message base.

Finally, looking at Windows 98SE recycle bin, I see messages.tbi files
there three times. Once at 12:53 yesterday. Of course, I would never
put any "messges" files in recycle. I wonder what has happened 3x.

I appreciate your kind assistance here.

Best regards,

David