Hi Jan!

In message [EMAIL PROTECTED]">mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
on Friday, October 4, 2002, 4:18:44 PM, you wrote:

DW>> I want to set up a filter to trap
DW>> anything with [] anywhere in the subject
DW>> line, either on its own or preceded or
DW>> followed by any characters. I have
DW>> looked, obviously not hard enough, and
DW>> not found out how to do this. I'm trying
DW>> to build a spam filter and this looks
DW>> like an essential ingredient.

JR>   I don't think so. Every group @ Yahoo!
JR>   groups, for example, has the list name
JR>   contained by [].

JR>   Using the filter you propose, they would
JR>   all be considered spam.

Putting  list  names  in brackets is standard for the benefit of users
who  don't  have  a competent email program like The Bat! (most people
using  web  mail,  for example). It doesn't seem to be even a proposed
RFC, although the IETF recommends using it for their own lists.

I  don't think I've seen ANY spam that DOES have /[.*/] in the subject
line.

Hmm,  after  searching the 773 spams that I've collected since setting
up The Bat! less than a month ago, I found exactly two spams that have
that, and both are The Bat!-style Re: counters. ("Re:[1]").

If you're using it to filter NON-spam, that should do reasonably well.

JR>   There are lots of other simple ways to
JR>   filter for spam. For example, any email
JR>   *not* addressed to you could easily be
JR>   filtered out as spam.

Not  addressed  to  you  AND  not whitelisted.  If I send a message to
several people who don't know each other, I use BCC for both, so their
name  wouldn't  show  up,  and their systems will likely filter it, if
they have filters and don't have me whitelisted.

There  are  a  number  of  anti-spam lists where you can get some good
ideas on things to check for.  Most such lists are geared more towards
anti-spam programmers and anti-spam sysadmins, though.

--
--Scott.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Using  The  Bat! 1.61 under Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 on an AMD Athlon
XP 1900 (1.6G real, 1.9G effective) with 512MB.