Hi ~John,

@9-Oct-2002, 13:45 -0700 (21:45 UK time) ~John & Marjorie~ [jM] in
[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

jM> Is there a way to set a filter to mark the unimportant messages
jM> as "Read" and the important ones UnRead ?

 ... <snip>

>> Fernando,

 ... <snip>

jM> - - - End of Joseph N.'s message - - -

<moderator>
<stock lecture>
You're using the "top posting" reply format, one that I find awful
(but I'm feeling more like Canute by the day on that score). It is
called "top posting" because you let the quotes appear at the bottom
and type your reply at the top.

I have many reasons to prefer the "in-line quoting" method:
o  It is easier to follow points raised and counterpoints made when
   they are interspersed. With top posting you have to go from top to
   bottom to top again to review the context and work out what the
   post is about.
o  Following on from that, as you go through the quotes interspersing
   your replies and clipping the "fluff", you actually ensure that all
   points raised and questions asked are covered and that the quoted
   material is suitably trimmed.
o  The message format becomes a lot more conversational and thus
   more legible.
o  Rather than growing exponentially with each reply in a thread, the
   message size is kept reasonable and to the point.
o  When you top post, you deprive anyone who is replying the ability
   to join in with the conversation and reply to both you and the
   original message writer. The original message has been taken "out
   of the frame" and is no longer in context.
o  Responses have immediate context rather than being a bolt out of
   the blue at the top of a message making you scroll down to re-read
   the original. When cut marks are used for signature this task is
   made even harder because the quotes appear in light grey italics
   for users of the TB Rich Text Viewer.

I know there are some instances where top-posting is necessary -
particularly in dealing with a technical support department where an
issue may be passed around from person to person and the entire
message chain needs to be kept live. I actually have a special
template I use for such occasions. At all other times, I will still
champion the cause of conversational email! :-).

You were partially rescued on two counts -

1) The message you quoted contained a cut mark and that resulted in
the signatures being trimmed (but that's all)

2) Your own cut mark was badly formed so the quoted message did not
appear in grey, italic "signature" mode.

Read the help and the FAQ about properly forming a cut mark.

Please modify your reply template for use with this list.

This is not just a note to the addressee, but to anyone else
intending to reply to posts on this list.
</stock lecture>
</moderator>

- --
Cheers -- .\\arck D Pearlstone -- List moderator
TB! v1.62/Beta5 on Windows 2000 5.0.2195 Service Pack 2
'