Hi Nick!

In message mid:20021018120126.4F21.ANDRIASH@;shaw.ca
on Friday, October 18, 2002, 2:07:25 PM, you wrote:

>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS02-054.asp

NA> Thanks Marcus... I have read the article, but I still remain skeptical.
NA> Why? Because if that were true, the entire Computing World would be up in
NA> arms about it. Anti-Virus Software Companies would be scrambling to
NA> produce Programs that would automatically delete all *.zip files if simply
NA> opening an archive to view the contents would in itself unleash the virus.

Read  the  article more carefully -- first, simply viewing the list of
files  in  the  archive  is  ok. The problem comes when extracting the
files.  Second, it applies only to Microsoft's uncompression code, not
to  third party code, such as you would find in antivirus programs, or
third-party archive utilities. Third, the fix is already available via
WindowsUpdate for WinME and WinXP (it doesn't mention it for XP, but I
checked  and  my  system  is patched already), so anyone who is on the
internet and has their system set up properly (hint, hint) has the fix
already.

--
--Scott.
mailto:Wizard@;local.nu

Using  The  Bat! 1.61 under Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 on an AMD Athlon
XP 1900 (1.6G real, 1.9G effective) with 512MB.