Inadvertently, I had two AB entries for the same person.  One was
under group A, it had a middle initial, and no nickname/handle.  The
other was under group B [same AB], no middle initial, different email
choices, and a handle.  I deleted the entry under group B (selecting
"no" when the incredibly confusing dialog box came up about the extent
to which I wanted to delete an entry in a group which hides its
members).  I want to add the handle, which was used in the entry I
deleted, to the other, surviving, entry, but TB! won't let me do it.
It says it is a duplicate handle.

I have closed the AB and reopened it, and still cannot add the handle.
I have searched each group to see if there is another entry for that
person, but there is not (other than the one I want to modify).

What is causing this behavior, and how can I work around it?

--
JN