Hello Barry,

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002 14:51:16 +0000 GMT (07/11/02, 21:51 +0700 GMT),
Barry Higginbottom wrote:

>   I have just had an email bounced back to me from one of my
>   customers. I don't really understand what's going on here, but it
>   infers there is a problem with my IP address which I find a little
>   disconcerting.

It does not seem to be your IP address.

>   Below is the relevant bit form the message. If anyone understands it
>   could they let me know in plain English?

>   =======================

> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at bsve.net.
> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.

This should be clear: Your mail didn't arrive. It is not in the mail
queue any more, either.

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Connected to 213.38.238.98 but sender was rejected.
> Remote host said: 553 5.3.0 Rejected - see http://www.dsbl.org

OK, so your recipient's ISP (cortem.co.uk) uses DSBL to check whether
you are sending from an open relay, and rejects messages that are
suspected to come from spammers.

> --- Below this line is a copy of the message.

I checked the DSBL database, and your IP address is not listed.

> I have left out the text of the message, but it seems to me that
> this dsbl.org is some sort of spam blocker, but I can't find out
> what it is about me that they don't like.

Me neither.

> Or is it The Bat! that it doesn't like. I seem to remember some
> discussion about this before.

DSBL seems to be the kind of blacklist that blocks on IP addresses,
not X-Mailer headers.

> I hope someone can throw some light on this.

I cannot find a reason for the rejection. Maybe you want to check out
the help page at DSBL, or right to the ISP directly.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so
popular?

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.62/Beta7
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A
using an AMD Athlon K7 1.2GHz, 128MB RAM