I wrote...

>Not to mention that the message still has the following headers from the
>thread it stole, only minutes after a warning about that very practice.

One of the sweetest guys on the planet reminded me privately that this
kind of remark is not very nice behavior. Sorry about that.

Lots of people do this on mailing lists, and the reasons are generally
very simple.

(1) They haven't thought about how borrowing another message to start a
new topic disrupts the threaded display, and
(2) They haven't figured out an easier way to start a new thread.

The second issue is one I'll address here.

As it turns out, the poster was not using The Bat! to post, and I don't
know anything about his mail client. But in general, each mail client
provides several ways to start a new message without typing in the
destination address. Using the address book or Contacts list is one of
the commonest.

In the case of The Bat! and mailing lists, however, the easiest way is not
necessarily obvious. That is to embed the mailing list address in the
template assigned to the folder for that list.

In the case of this mailing list, for example, let's assume you sort all
messages into a dedicated folder just for this list. Then in the folder
properties, you have templates for posting new messages and for replying.

In the new messages template, after your signature, you will want to add
this macro:

%TO="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Then when you start a new message while you are in this folder, that
address will automatically show up in the To: header.

--
John De Hoog
http://dehoog.org