On Tue, 3 Dec 2002 23:30:18 +0100
Peter Palmreuther <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello Jonathan,
>
> On Tuesday, December 3, 2002 at 11:15:59 PM you [JC] wrote (at least
> in part):

> >> I don't think so. S/MIME comes as an attachment which can be indicated
> >> as that, whereas PGP is plain text.
> >>

> > PGP signatures can come as attachments also. This message is an example.
> > But I think it has to be supported by the mail client.
>
> It has.
> And there's a big difference between S/MIME signed and PGP/MIME signed
> messages:
>
> ,-----= [ S/MIME ] =-----
> |         micalg=sha1; boundary="----------EA1CAB733401F57"
> `-----=
>
> ,-----= [ PGP/MIME ] =-----
> |  micalg="pgp-sha1"; boundary="=.SIbCX1.4Pt(gu+"
> `-----=

I may be overlooking something, but the only real difference that I see
in the example you list above is the protocal.

> The Bat! signs the mails in message list according to
> "application/pkcs7-signature", it does not even verify the signature
> for doing so. "application/pgp-signature" is (yet, I hope) unknown to
> The Bat! and therefore shown as "real attachment" and not treated as
> signing in any way :-/

I think I'm in agreement with your implied issue with TB!'s handling of
S/MIME signatures. I'd really like to know why TB! won't let me
delete them like every other attachment. /sigh

Once I've verified the signature on an e-mail once I don't really
need it anymore. It is a waste of space. It may not seem like a
lot but over time it adds up. Consider that a recent S/MIME signed
message sent to this list consisted of 1008 bytes of text, and a
S/MIME signature of 2.2 kilobytes. This means that roughly 2/3 of the
total message was the signature.

Jonathan                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]