On Sunday, June 1, 2003 at 18:00 (which was Sunday, June 1, 2003 at
8:00 where I am) Allister Jenks [AJ] wrote:

AJ> A guy who normally sends me <200k HTML emails, this time sent me a
AJ> whopping 1.5Mb email that had about 1.5k of text and a
AJ> Winmail.dat.

Welcome to the world of Microsoft.

AJ> I can see from snooping into the file it is created by Outlook and
AJ> I have asked him to deal with the problem.

The senders of mails with winmail.dat attachments are usually totally
unaware that their mail-client is sending these. Therefore, asking
them to deal with it will not usually render much result as they are
unaware that there is a problem. After all, they never see this
attachment on either incoming or outgoing mail.

AJ> However, I'd like to understand what this file is and, if
AJ> possible, how/why Outlook creates it and how to stop it.

Outlook incorrectly assumes that all recipients you are in contact
with are also using outlook. As soon as Outlook thinks it needs to
send additional information with an e-mail, or if the sender adds
attachments, these get encoded into MS/TNEF format which only
Microsoft's e-mail software recognizes (AFAIK, I have heard that the
new release of the GroupWise Internet Agent will support this,
apparently Novell decided to support this non-standard attachment type
to get rid of all the support calls I guess this must generate).

There is a tool called Fentun (http://www.fentun.com/) which is free
and which will allow you to open winmail.dat files and extract the
attachments stores within it. Note that smaller winmail.dat files
usually contain nothing but additional MS-proprietary mail attributes
and no attachments, in which case Fentun will show now file-list.

--
Greetings,
Maurice

Using The Bat! v1.63 Beta/7 on Windows 2000 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 3