At 01:14 AM 6/17/2003 +0200, you wrote:

OK, that had me jumping through some hoops as for (imho good) reason
of security Opera refuses https-connections to port 80. Had to use
Internet Explorer to get to this site; imported the certificate and it
displays OK. Exported it to DER-encoded X.509 so I could import in The
Bat!, which does indeed show the dates you saw in the log earlier.

Just for verification, I then imported the certificate that I exported
from IE into Opera to see what it showed and Opera shows yet another
set of dates: march 6, 15.01.47 2020 to june 6 14.01.47 2020.

I cannot determine what was used to generate this certificate, but it
would seem that the way the date is encoded in the certificate, is
ambiguous. I'll be using [EMAIL PROTECTED] (24-hour format) below.

Tool      IE                The Bat!          Opera
From      [EMAIL PROTECTED]   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   [EMAIL PROTECTED]:01:47
To        [EMAIL PROTECTED]   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   [EMAIL PROTECTED]:01:47

It's almost as if bits of information got shifted around. Only Opera
shows the time to be listed in GMT; this could account for the '2'
difference in the time component. In the case of Opera, the year
(omitting the century) seems to have migrated to the month, the month
to the day, the day to the hours, the hours to the minutes and the
minutes to the seconds, discarding the original seconds.

The difference of 10 years in The Bat! eludes me, but I've never seen
a certificate behave this way. The fact that Opera too displays (yet
another set of) wrong dates for the certificate is in my opinion an
indication that something weird is happening with the certificate.

> Anyhow Eudora and a couple of Linux mail clients ( Kmail maybe ) all
> work with it fine.

Are they? I don't have either of these two handy so I can't check, but
how do they see the dates of the certificate. It could be that they
only check for expiration, which in the cases of both Opera and The
Bat! is way into the future here, so if an application doesn't take
the From date of the certificate into consideration, this could result
in 'working fine' when it actually just displays a flaw in those
applications.

It displays fine in Eudora and IE. Those were the only two other programs I have
to check it against.

The cert was generated by a utility in the server program. I have a contract with
Deerfield, so I'll let them figure it out. If they come up with nothing, I'll get into it and
see what I can determine. I can't do much this time of day because this thing is
running over a megabit of traffic.

Thanks for your response, I do appreciate it.

PS: I'm sending this on Eudora. I hope it doesn't go out in Html or some weird format....

Thanks,
Ben

________________________________________________ Current version is 1.62r | "Using TBUDL" information: http://www.silverstones.com/thebat/TBUDLInfo.html