Hello Allie,

Thanks so much for your reply to my post.  I'll play around with the
labeling feature and see if I can get some of these graphics to speak
properly.  Being able to see the lines connecting threaded messages
must be really interesting -- I've always thought that somehow
illustrating the concepts of threads would help people understand how
mailing lists function.

I'm sure I'll have many questions as I continue my journey with the
bat, but for now, I'll go and try to get things working based on your
information.

Again, thanks for your help.

Steve

AM> Steve M. Sawczyn, [SMS] wrote:

SMS>> Greetings, I am a blind computer user who recently re-installed the
SMS>> bat.  I say re-installed because when I had last tried The bat, I
SMS>> found that it didn't work well with my screen reader.  A lot has
SMS>> changed since then, both with the bat and with the screen reading
SMS>> technology and I'm finding that the Bat is a lot more accessible to
SMS>> blind users like myself.

AM> This is good to know. :)

SMS>> Be that as it may, I'm finding that I still have trouble accessing
SMS>> parts of the program and am hoping that someone on this list might
SMS>> be able to give me a hand.

AM> Let's see. I'll give it a shot.

SMS>> .... In Outlook, threads, or conversations as they like to call
SMS>> them, are shown by a little minus symbol to the left of the message
SMS>> listing. When the thread is expanded, the minus changes to a plus.
SMS>> Anyway, with my screen reader, I am not detecting any sort of
SMS>> symbol when I change to the thread view.

AM> The symbols are actually there.

AM> When threading by references:
AM>  - A plus sign is in front of a message starting a collapsed thread or
AM>    sub-thread.
AM>  - A minus sign is in front of each message within an expanded thread
AM>    and they're each connected by a line.

AM> When the thread by subject:
AM>  - A plus sign is in front of messages starting collapsed threads.
AM>  - A minus sign is in front of messages starting an expanded thread. The
AM>    other messages in the thread are connected by broken lines.

AM> It's a bummer that you can't see this.

SMS>> How can I tell how many messages are in a thread?

AM> If you open the column view configuration panel, you'll see columns that
AM> can be added. Two of them are 'Total Messages' and 'Unread Messages'.
AM> These are included by default in the column settings when in threaded
AM> by references view.

AM> The 'Total Message' column displays the total number of messages within
AM> a thread or subthread.

AM> The 'Unread Messages' column displays the total number of unread
AM> messages within a thread or sub-thread.

SMS>> Are threads actually colapsed, or does the bat handle them
SMS>> differently than Outlook in that respect? Are there keyboard
SMS>> commands which might assist me with thread navigation?

AM> Yes.

AM> CTRL-* expands all threads.

AM> CTRL-Shift-* collapses all threads. This can take a while to occur in
AM> threaded mode when there are a lot of messages in the folder.

AM> CTRL-Alt-<right arrow> moves you to the next unread message within a
AM> thread. When all unread messages within the thread are read, it will
AM> move you to the next unread message in subsequent threads. It does so
AM> working downwards in the threaded message list and when it reaches the
AM> end of the list, it starts from the beginning again.

AM> CTRL-Alt-<left arrow> moves to to the previously unread message in a
AM> thread. I hardly use this one.

AM> Alt-<left arrow> moves you to the previously read message.

> [...]

 Steve                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]