Hello, Kim:

K> I haven't seen a repeat of the problem yet, but I plan on trying your
K> workaround, if it happens. I also have always had the habit of making
K> regular backups, but considering the previous problem, I make those
K> backups even more often now.

One of my fundamentals here is to keep that Inbox as close to empty as
possible. I've found it to be more vulnerable than other folders if
anything goes wrong, say, in the process of an upgrade.

K> Have you tried the trial version of The Bat version 2 yet? I can't
K> blame you for not wanting to upgrade if you have problems with the
K> current version, as I did. However, an upgrade may solve the problem
K> as well. I did read that some people who tried out the trial and chose
K> not to upgrade were able to revert back to the older version. I've not
K> tried that, so I don't know how well it works.

I've become very cautious about upgrades (as opposed to simple
patches) but one day I suppose I will too.

K> Also, what is the exact message you're getting when The Bat won't
K> start?

Usually, just "A call to an OS function failed."  Sometimes, none at
all. But that is rare know. Oh, I also get a horn sound each time The
Bat starts.

K> When it happened to me, I didn't get a message at all. I just K>
K> got a small flash, as if the splash screen was trying to appear,
K> then nothing.

K> Yes, that too.

K> Uninstalling and reinstalling was the only way I was able to
K> fix it, however, I did notice one post on The Bat forum which
K> mentioned that someone else was also experiencing the "no start"
K> problem, but with version 2. Not sure how many others have experienced
K> it.

K> Another thought... Did you try resetting your default e-mail
program K> settings in Internet Explorer? Go to Tools, Internet
Options, then to K> the Programs tab. Choose something other than The
Options, then to K> Bat on the drop-down K> box (like Outlook
Options, then to K> Express), click Apply, then go back up and choose
Options, then to K> K> The Bat and click Apply again.

OK, thanks, I'll try that Out and Back-In strategy.

K> I know this worked with one of my old
K> e-mail programs having problems a year or so ago, but I don't know if
K> it'll help to solve this problem. Worth a try anyway.

K> As for me, I *hope* the problem doesn't come back.  :)

I've found some kind of way to get it started. But that's one more hit
on productivity around here. Still, I guess I'll be loyal to The Bat
and enjoying being part of this kindly Bat family.

Best wishes,

David