Hello Thomas,

TF> Hello Andrew,

TF> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 07:49:11 +0100 GMT (25/09/2003, 13:49 +0700 GMT),
TF> Andrew Hodgson wrote:

>>   Does  anyone know why this is the default charset for TB mail?

TF> You seem to have sent your message with us-ascii encoding.

  That  is  because  I switched it off after a request from a user.  I
  have now switched it back on however.

>> What is the cignificance of this charset,

TF> It is Western European and contains such characters as the
TF> eruo-symbol, the Pound-Sterling-symbol, and German umlauts, to name
TF> just a few.

  Thanks.   Actually I did a test by sending in US-Ascii, then putting
  a  £  sign  in the mail, and it then came back as ISO-8859-15.  Note
  that on the templates menu, if you sellect no encoding, it gets sent
  as  US-ASCII, which is what my friend told me to use.  I am not also
  sure  whether  it  was due to the fact that TB encoded my message in
  base64  with  the  £  sign  in it that caused him the problem or the
  handling of the charset itself.

>> and is it safe to tell TB to use no encoding on mails?

TF> I don't know how you would do that, I wouldn't recommend it: How
TF> should the recipient's email client know how to encode/display your
TF> message, especially if it contains high ASCII characters?

  See  previous - No encoding means US-ASCII in TB when sellecting the
  charset  from  the  template  editor.   Perhaps this could be better
  phrased?   Anyway,  is the ISO-8859-15 charset the default in all TB
  installations?

Thanks,
Andrew.

 Andrew Hodgson, Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK.
 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]