Mary Bull wrote:

k>>  ... Thankfully this list has picked one method (it's bottom,
k>> right?)

> No, it is "interlined." In a short reply, with only one relevant
> section quoted and the comment below, it looks like "bottom posting."
> But the method is more like conversation than it is like replying to a
> letter.

Umm.. sorry about that.  I was being a smart-ass, trying to be clever,
and failing miserably. My "it's bottom, right?" comment was purely in
jest, as this list uses what I would definitely call bottom posting.

I understand the concept of interlined or interspersed quoting and
commenting, but for me (at least in my cloudy gray mind), that's what I
call bottom posting. It is quite a rare occasion for me to see someone
refer to multiple points and put their response all the way at the
bottom only (and not after each section) that way top-posters might.

When I think of "bottom posting" I think of it as posting replies
beneath (at the bottom of) relevant comments.  What you did in your
response, and what I'm about to do now....

> I think so, too. It's not about the individual subscriber's personal
> preference. It's about the entire community, and especially about the
> decisions of the moderators for the good of the community.

That, and being a little thick-skinned.  I saw some posts recently that
mentioned moderators being rude in their public reminders of list
protocol.  I wanted to chime in on the thread, but most of the people in
that discussion said it better than I could anyway.  The only real point
I wanted to make then - and it applies here too - is that being a little
less sensitive seems to work really well with mailing lists.

For me, that means just doing what the group wants.  I don't have the
time or energy to wage a battle about how I think top-posting makes
sense (that's just an example and not a reflection of what I actually
believe).

I think we're saying the same thing basically.  I'm just being
long-winded and more confusing about it...  ;)

> There will always be new subscribers who need reminding and old ones,
> also, from time to time. But, as you noted, Ken, being consistent in
> format is a virtue here. :)

The fact that the mods use templates for the reminders is brilliant.  It
removes the emotional aspect, so if one is having a bad day, just
stubbed his toe, or broke up with girlfriend/boyfriend - they don't have
to fire off a self-righteous bomb to blow off some steam.  (anyone who
has participated on more than 1 or 2 lists/groups knows exactly what I'm
talking about).

--
 Ken Green
 Using The Bat! v1.62r on Windows 2000 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 4