David Stone, [DS] wrote:

DS> If I use PGP/MIME and encrypt/sign a message* with an attachment,
DS> say a JPEG file, and send it to myself at another TheBat! account

Is this an internal delivery that you're doing, or are you going via
your ISP?

DS> then I can PGP decrypt the message but the JPEG is shown as base64
DS> text within the message. To view the JPEG (or base64) I have to
DS> cut/paste and save to another file where I can use a 'shell' utility
DS> to right click the file and decode the base64 material.

I can't duplicate this problem when I try it. I did it in two ways. I
did it, but allowing an internal delivery from one TB! account to
another. In the other instance I disabled internal deliveries so the
message was first sent to my LAN mailserver, MDaemon, and then
downloaded by TB! to the other account. In all instances the attachments
were viewed just fine.

This is therefore making me strongly suspect that a mailserver is
messing up somewhere while handling your PGP/MIME messages.

DS> If  I  do  not use PGP/MIME (set to 'off') and repeat the above then the
DS> JPEG appears as a separate attachment and can be viewed within TheBAt!
DS> message.

Well, yes. Nothing should be wrong since inline signing will make your
messages in no way special when a server has to handle it. PGP/MIME
signed mail is different though.

For example, if I send a PGP/MIME signed message to the list with base64
encoding allowed, none of the signatures will validate, thanks to
MDaemon's interference. However, it seems to handle quoted printable
just fine.

DS> I know some other clients decode PGP/MIME base64 and present it
DS> within the message (TurnPike, Eudora), so, is there a plugin for
DS> TheBat! that could decode base64 on the fly?

TB! does decode base64 encoded text on the fly. It certainly does that
here. The messages I sent to myself that were signed and encrypted were
completely unreadable when viewing the source. OTOH, in the viewer, the
message text and attachment appear just fine. For it to do this, base64
encoded material needs to be indicated as such. If the intervening
server messes up the headers of the message, then TB! will fail to
display the base64 encoded material in decoded format. It will instead
treat it as plain text.

--
 -= allie_M =- | List Moderator
PGPKeys: http://www.ac-martin.com/pgpkeys.html