Dear tbudl,

I make no secret: though The Bat! (TB) has been my default mailer for
over a year, I have played with others, including Eudora, M2 in Opera,
Pegasus, (even Outlook Express and Outlook..again - VERY briefly),
Mozilla Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird, various mailers in Linux (K-Mail,
Evolution), Courier/Calypso, Pocomail etc. At work I use Lotus Notes
(no choice; formerly Pegasus - again, no choice).  I looked at Becky,
and decided not to bother. (Apologies to Becky fans)

(Looking at this list above..I think I need to get a life!! ;-)

The main one I am playing with 'on the side' at present is Pocomail
(PM). (LocoMail? ..only kidding). (BTW, almost every mailer I have
played with has a much more capable address book than PM. And almost
all look better than TB)

There are a lot of nice things about PM...and I am thinking the
'perfect' email for me would be TB, with the appearance,
'skinnability', and some of the nice little touches of PM. Yes....I
know that personal preferences (re features and appearance) have a big
impact on one's choice of mailer.

Despite some of the current bugs (eg in HTML): I see TB as being
fairly boring and dull in appearance, but fast, reliable, fairly easy
to use, and perhaps unsurpassed for power and flexibility. If there
was an easy way to improve the appearance of TB... eg change the grey
backdrop for something else...even a nice buff colour (as in some of
the screenshots of TB I have seen).... then it would make all the
difference. Well, a big improvement at least.

Call me fickle, call me 'superficial/but most
humans (apart from the nerd-iest of power-users ;-) like something
that is not only functional, but nice to look at.... In short,
function should have priority, but it is important to have form as
well.

But...on the other hand...a program can't be all things to all people.
Hmmm ...

Am I helping??  ;-)

cc D Wilde (I.T. guru & fellow BMW rider)...I was going to introduce
the analogy of BMW bikes (highly competent but not loved by the
masses) vs (say) Harley Davidsons (majoring more on form than function), but
decided not to go there <g>
--

Kind regards,
Stephen Love