quoting Marck D Pearlstone:
K>> If there were no such thing, why is there a CONVERSION PROCESS
K>> during the upgrade?

M> Pass - I didn't know they'd been added.

OK.  We were coming from different places.

M> These instructions were an integral part of the beta cycle for v2.

If a Bat user purchases an upgrade to the Christmas Edition, THEY HAVE
TO BE ON THE BETA LIST to get through the problems of installation?

What's wrong with that picture?  (I realize this isn't your fault)

M> I agree. It should be described as a manual, pre-upgrade step, as it
M> was in the beta cycle. It seems to me that it's too dangerous to let
M> it convert automatically en-route.

OK, we're in agreement.  :)

K>> Oh come on... to say "everything seems to be doing OK" is
K>> completely relative. Your response was either in jest, or naive
K>> and myopic. Surely you haven't missed the numerous problems with
K>> v2.....?

M> <bang> Ouch! where did that come from? I thought you were saying v2
M> was fine on the laptop after a clean install? I'm sure that's what
M> you said. That's what I'm agreeing with.

Sorry.  I was venting and quite frustrated.  I have wasted entirely
too much time trying to get The Bat working the way I want.  My
success on the laptop was a short-lived victory.

M> As for "numerous problems". No. I've seen reports of numerous
M> gotchas in configuring IMAP. But v2 is still a major improvement
M> over v1 in *every* respect for all users, even for IMAP. Okay, I
M> don't use IMAP and as a result my frustration levels are sat at zero
M> .. nowhere near the volcanic peaks you seem to have hit with it all
M> :-).

You are lucky that you are not trying to get IMAP to work.  Do you
access e-mail from more than one computer?  I'd love to hear how you
do that and what's working for you.  I'm willing to keep trying to get
things working, but the last few hours have seemed like I was going
backwards...

As far problems with v2 - go back through the mail archives.  There
have been problems that are certainly not limited to IMAP (column
width, missing messages, HTML, etc.)

Sure, software can't be perfect. There are going to be bugs. But that
doesn't mean those bugs aren't important and shouldn't be addressed.
At the same time, it's not fair to focus only on the negative. Yes, v2
appears to be a big improvement over v1. I won't deny that. I was
excited about the improvements. Unfortunately, I could only enjoy
those improvements for a day and a half before hitting big problems on
my desktop. It's like someone stole Christmas...

>>> This may indeed work, but make sure you switch the accounts to POP3
>>> first and backup the messages you want to keep safe from any IMAP
>>> accounts.

K>> Will do.  Thanks for the help.

M> I try. Sorry if I'm coming over as glib here - don't intend to at
M> all. Just trying to keep up with the twists and turns of the saga.

A saga it is....  My apologies for venting at you and taking your
comments personally.  I realize you're trying to help.  But I hate
that you're not using IMAP!  ;)

--
 Ken Green
 Using The Bat! v2.03.47 on Windows 2000 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 3