* Clive Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi Carsten,

>> I don't believe you because even NOD32 does not detect /new/
>> viruses. IMHO this is an important fact many users seem to forget
>> these days

> What do you mean "NOD32 does not detect new viruses"?

I mean virus scanners don't detect unknown viruses.

This web page is in German but it shows in detail how quickly AV
companies provided virus definitions for ...

Win32/Bagle worm:         <http://www.pcwelt.de/news/viren_bugs/37070/2.html>
Win32/Xombe trojan horse: <http://www.pcwelt.de/news/viren_bugs/37070/3.html>

And here's something very nice from Symantec:

  <http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/refa.html#iudefs>

| Virus Definitions (Intelligent UpdaterTM)
|
| [...] The virus definitions are posted on U.S. business days (Monday
| through Friday) and can be downloaded from the Symantec Security
| Response Web site and manually installed.
|
| [...]
|
| Home users: While it is possible, it is not absolutely necessary for
| you to download and install the Intelligent Updater definitions
| daily. [...]

Interesting.

Now see how quickly the latest worms spread over the internet and
compare that to the delay of virus definition updates.

>                                                         It's one of the
> best out there at detecting viruses and updating itself against new
> threats.

I think you are absolutely right (although I don't know NOD32).

prevent such worm floods in the future. The answer is: no.

Users have to be educated *not* *to* *trust* their anti virus
tools. There always is a time frame from several hours to two or
more days when these tools are unable to find brand new malware.

Another question: is this really a problem?

I see much too many people trusting their AV tools ultimately
telling me »how on earth can this e-mail contain malware when my
virus scanner keeps quiet?« Those users have to learn how to detect
dangerous mail content with their eyes only. I think this is
possible.

To make it short, I think todays mail worm are not at all a
technical problem but an educational one.

>            It's proven - especiall? here in the past few days with the
> MyDoom worm.

MyDoom prooves only one thing: users are not very, erm, clever or
use the wrong mail client ... ;-)

Carsten