Hello MAU!

On Saturday, February 07, 2004, 5:11 AM, you wrote:

MRB>> Hello Everyone!

M> Well, my name is not Everyone but I'll try to respond :)

lol And I'm very glad to hear from you--"a rose by any other name
would smell as sweet" ... and already I'm OT. :)

MRB>> Do any of you know whether a later version than 2.00.6 of The Bat!
MRB>> provides more information in the log than just the bare line "could
MRB>> not connect to server"?

M> Mine is 2.01.3, as you can see below, and that's what I get when I can't
M> connect to the server.

I see. Well, I'm certainly not far enough along to start playing with
betas, so I guess I'll stick with 2.00.6. It doesn't seem to have any
more problems than the CE. :)

MRB>> ... can any version of TB! tell the reason "why," as in, for
MRB>> instance, quoting the server's response?

M> There is no server response to quote because you cannot connect to it.
M> If you could connect but for some reason you could not login, the error
M> message would be different.

Well, that's logical. And of course I couldn't expect TB! to know why,
if the problem is on the other end. Is there a way, technically, for
it to be able to tell me that the problem is TB!'s, if it is? In
future versions, that is?

MRB>> In most instances, the Internet browsers are still available to me.
MRB>> It's just the POP3 and SMTP that are not functioning.

M> It may be that your ISP's server is down. Have you tried to call your
M> ISP and find out if their mail server is up and running smoothly?

My ISP is in Indonesia. I could ask about it by e-mail, though, once
the server gets back up. Next time I will do that.

MRB>> Last night I shut TB! down and re-launched several times to no avail.
MRB>> Then I tried closing TB! and re-booting the computer. No joy there,
MRB>> either. ...

M> If it is the server being down or not responding, none of that helps.

As I found. :) But back when I was running v. 161, the problem was
often in TB! itself, although all it would say was "could not connect
to server." But in that version it was an almost daily occurence--the
program would seem to time itself out after being up awhile and a
re-launch or a re-boot would seem to fix it.

Anyway, re-launching and re-booting gave me something to do, like the
prospective father whom a country doctor has told to go down to the
kitchen and boil some water. :)

M> Hmmmmm! That coffee! :)

Yes! Time for another cup. :)

Mary

The Bat! 2.00.6 on Windows XP 5.1 2600 Service Pack 1