Hi all,

I have a selective download filter set to "Ignore" certain messages. I
assumed that meant that the messages would stay on the server until I
used the dispatcher to delete them. This isn't what is happening.

Here's what does seems to be happening (I'm using a test account
and sending messages to that account, so no other mail is
interfering.):

The messages are being filtered correctly. The log indicates the
presence of a message in the mailbox.

 2/12/2004, 11:36:12: FETCH - 1 messages in the mailbox, 0 new
 2/12/2004, 11:36:12: FETCH - connection finished - 0 messages received

On the next check, the log indicates that the message is still there.

 2/12/2004, 11:39:12: FETCH - 1 messages in the mailbox, 0 new

On the third check, the message is gone!

 2/12/2004, 11:42:11: FETCH - 0 messages in the mailbox, 0 new

I've used the mail dispatcher to look at the e-mail in various stages
without automatic checking. On first check, the e-mail is there with
only the read flag checked. On the second dispatcher check, the read
and *delete* flags are checked. *I wouldn't expect that the delete
flag would be checked.* By the third dispatcher check, of course, the
e-mail's been deleted because the flag was checked.

My settings on the account are to "Delete received messages from
server." Since these aren't received messages, I wouldn't expect them
to be deleted, whether through automatic checking or through the use
of the dispatcher.

I could, of course, use the "Keep messages on server" option. The
messages aren't removed, but then no messages are removed. That
defeats the purpose, IMHO, since the account I want to use the filter
on gets a large amount of e-mail daily and I don't want to wade
through all of the e-mail to find the ones that are ignored.

I've read the help files, but there's not much guidance there.  Is
this behavior some kind of bug, or is this by design?

I've also noticed that the results from the Selective Download filters
(whether set to kill or ignore) don't appear in the log. Is this
normal?

--
Regards,
Terry

Using The Bat! v2.01.3 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1