Hello zParticle,

On Friday, February 13, 2004, at 7:07:51 PM, you wrote
re: A simple suggestion for MicroEd:

z> MicroEd could rule.  But it needs soft wrapping.

z> Note that I said the EDITOR needs soft wrapping.  The messages should
z> always go out hard wrapped: this is the Internet standard for plain
z> text, and serves to keep things consistent and readable regardless which
z> mail client you're using.

z> The problem with the current approach for many of us used to other email
z> programs--or pretty much any text editor--has nothing to do with the
z> floating caret or WYSIWYG text.  (For some reason those keep being
z> brought up, but they aren't the problem.)

z> The editor simply needs to give us the OPTION of using soft carriage
z> returns during composition: this alone would avoid all the manual
z> reformatting or mode-switching.  It's an annoyance, and not at all
z> intuitive for newbies.

z> I understand that Some people may like having to manually rewrap each
z> paragraph or have simply gotten used to it this way, so make it an
z> optional setting and everyone wins.

z> WYSIWG?  Many other email editors have already solved this one: the soft
z> returns simply get converted to hard returns the moment you hit send.
z> There is no way in which this is not WYSIWYG--it hard wraps each line at
z> the same place it was soft wrapped in the editor.

z> The Bat! could then take it one step further by using its smart quote
z> wrapping to soft wrap quoted material during editing, exactly as it does
z> when you do a manual left justify.

z> One fundamental change, and MicroEd could move from "quirky" to king.

z> Not holding my breath...

This is a great idea. I hate this especially when I cut and past
something (or add text) and have to reformat where the text is
wrapping. I think TheBat! would win a lot more converts with a feature
as you describe. I almost gave up when I first started using TB
because of this. I stayed because of the great reply features. Adding
this feature would encourage me to switch my business email over to TB
(instead of just using it for email lists).

zParticle, have you submitted this as a new feature request. If not,
please do!!

--
Cheers!
Wayne Howard