I have to make an apology.

I wrote 10/07/2004 00:06 (CET)
> I wrote 09/07/2004 21:29
>> Yesterday I installed The Bat version 2.11.01 on top of
>> version 2.01 (I am not really sure what the former version
>> was, but it was version 2 definitely). Everything works
>> fine except for sending out mail.
>> You may have noticed I am using now Eudora to get across.

> I've now discovered that the problem is related to the
> spell checker. If I use the spell checker before sending the
> message, it will effectively go.

Now my system manager points out that my blaming the spell
checker is wrong. Even worse, I should not have blamed The
Bat! at all.

I quoted the log file saying:
> !09/07/2004, 21:06:12: SEND  - Server reports error. The
> response is: 2.1.0 [EMAIL PROTECTED] OK

and I wrote
> I suppose a bug is involved since I changed nothing

Well, *I* did not change anything, *my system manager* did.
He restored an old version of the mail server software (you
don't want to know why) at the same moment I was busy
installing my new version of The Bat!

The bug I was suffering from was in this older version of
the mail server. Where it was supposed to respond with a
carriage return - line feed sequence, it only returned the
line feed. The Bat! correctly interpreted that as an error.

Now, Eudora is less critical on what the server comes up
with, and that is why I got confused and wrote:
> It is no server or connection problem since Eudora
> works fine on the same computer, as it always did.

So I was desperately trying out all kinds of work arounds,
while my system manager read the copy of my message to
tbudl, remembered this old bug and promptly repaired the
nasty thing. At that very moment I was playing with the
spell checker, jumping to conclusions after two messages
were successfully sent using the spell checker first.

Well, at least I am glad I copied my system manager!

Sorry for bothering you all without reason.

Jan Halkes