Hallo jon,

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:04:18 -0400GMT (12-7-2004, 23:04 +0200, where I
live), you wrote:

RO>> AJ> Documentation is part of a product.

That's an awkward way of quoting.

RO>> Though I certainly wouldn't say that TB is the best documented program
RO>> ever, I certainly can't blame RitLabs too much for the online help.

J> Who can you blame if not RitLabs?

You're arguing about the false part of my statement. I didn't mean to
say that you shouldn't blame RitLabs for the help deficiencies, but
not as much as everybody seems to do.
I've always found TB's help sufficient, okay it might not grade an A,
but it'll do.

J> This has been hashed many times on the list, and many folks truly
J> believe that the poor help system has only served to hold back TB's
J> market penetration.

AMOF I couldn't care less about TB market penetration. But the most
important reason that TB isn't used by the masses is the price and
lack of frivolous whistles and bells.

RO>> Let's face it. What do you expect from a help file? It has to mention
RO>> the features in the program, but it doesn't have to take you by the
RO>> hand like one of those [EMAIL PROTECTED]@d MS wizards that take you almost to the
RO>> place where you'd like to be and then leave you in the dark how to
RO>> get at your final destination.

J> Most people expect a help file that covers all features and is written clearly.

In my experience those help files don't exist.

J> Try Help under Options | Network & Administration and tell me that this really
J> covers accounts & groups properly.

To tell you the truth, I honestly don't know what I would have written
more on that subject, if I wrote those texts.

J> Where is the detailed information regarding the different editors?

You're right, as far as I could see, there's only info about TB's
traditional editor.

J> Why are things like "Unblock User PIN" in TB when it applies to a
J> different product?

Because that's an item in another version, not another product.
Recently I've looked into two help files (apart from TB's for this
discussion) The first was Word's help, telling me that I couldn't do
things because I got the stand alone version and not a network
variety. The other came with the software for my dect pabx, telling me
about the wonderful things I could do with bluetooth gsm's and
another type of pabx.
So the only three help files I've looked into, since I've got my new
computer have in common that they address features of other versions
and you're complaining that TB's help does something uncommonly stupid
in this area. I don't think that's very realistic.

RO>> I can't remember how many questions I've answered with straight
RO>> quotations from the help. Most questions I didn't do that were things
RO>> I wouldn't expect in a help file.
J> Maybe because you have low expectations (like I do) for TB's help?

Let's take an example of my last message outside this thread. That was
something like "what's wrong with my filter" There is no help file
that starts debugging your own programming efforts.

J> When I have a problem/question with TB, I rarely invoke Help because it is so
J> hard to find info (if indeed it exists.)

Somewhere around June 2 I got my new pc. I installed tb from scratch,
I copied my message base from my old pc, but I picked all of TB's fine
tuning out of the help file. Just to see whether it was really so
difficult to as I often hear inn this echo.
Mind you I'm no novice user and I've known my way around computers for
quite some time, but I didn't run into difficulties.

J> Now imagine a new user who tries to invoke Help in Options |
J> Preferences (arguably one of the most critical areas where
J> competent Help is necessary.) Tell me that the "The topic does not
J> exist" error message is not particularly egregious and
J> unprofessional...

Yup. That could've been handled better. However, most choices you can
pick are rather straightforward. And where it's a bit more guessing like
"What editor?" It's explained in the window itself without any need to
invoke the help.

Mind you. I still think TB's help could be better, but I definitely
refuse to go help bashing, because it's not that bad.

--
Groetjes, Roelof

Disclaimer: Any opinion stated in this message is not necessarily shared by my budgies
or rabbits.