On Sun 25 July 2004, 3:07:21 +1000, Subscriber2list wrote:
TF>> A global "don't check" still doesn't exist. What I do is, I close my
TF>> firewall in such cases. It's a workaround only.
>
> Aaah, too bad.  I found a suggestion by Marck in the archives, but it
> seemed really to only (perhaps) benefit one that is on dial-up
> connection.   I'm on DSL ... so I could disconnect my DSL modem ;>),
> but that's not really a real good solution as I might want to surf or
> check out links that I "discover" in various emails.

Assuming you have a firewall either on a router or your computer, you
could just close port 25 (or whatever other port you have SMTP set up on)
to prevent your system sending messages. Similarly closing port 110 would
stop the message download.

You could also use a proxy like XRay for sending and/or receiving mail.
That allows a single click to enable or disable its operation.

--
Robin Anson

Using The Bat! v2.12.00 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1

Running [EMAIL PROTECTED] (see: www.setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu)
   No of SETI units returned: 303