Hello, everyone.

I have noticed that several people are mentioning the
complicated topic of regular expressions, in how they
relate specifically to The Bat!, of course.

I have played with Perl on and off for several years,
but regular expressions have, I candidly admit,
intimidated me. (After I installed Linux on my multi-
boot PC a couple of years ago, I thought that Linux
would provide me with the chance to "get serious"
about learning Perl, which I have tried before --
first, when my only computer was a pre-Mac-OS-X
Macintosh and only MacPerl was available and, later,
when DzSoft <http://www.dzsoft.com/> released its
excellent Perl editor for Windows -- but people then
started advising me to learn PHP instead.) ;-)

I do not want to write a message that should be on
the TBOT list, but I did want to mention a book, in
English, if you are serious about learning regular
expressions, and do not mind working hard. The book
is O'Reilly's 'Mastering Regular Expressions', by
Jeffrey E. F. Friedl:

- http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/regex/index.html

The book is four years old (still in its first
edition, 1997), unfortunately:

Regular expressions, a powerful tool for manipulating
text and data, are found in scripting languages, editors,
programming environments, and specialized tools. In this
book, author Jeffrey Friedl leads you through the steps
of crafting a regular expression that gets the job
done. He examines a variety of tools and uses them
in an extensive array of examples, with a major focus
on Perl....

O'Reilly's 'Perl Pocket Reference', by Johan Vromans, is, however, in its fourth edition (2002).

Of course, I am still struggling through Friedl's tome,
and there are probably some great Web sites on regular
expressions that would be more suitable for the casual
user.

I hope that this information is of help to someone!

Thank you!

Cordially,

David
--
"A program is a device used to convert data into error messages."

________________________________________________ Current version is 3.0.1.33 | 'Using TBUDL' information: http://www.silverstones.com/thebat/TBUDLInfo.html