Hi Allie,

Tuesday, October 26, 2004, 9:02:48 AM, you wrote:

AM> So your new filter doesn't have to be at the top of the list if you
AM> know that the messages it's supposed to filter will not be caught by
AM> another filter.

  I'm convinced my problem was caused by the "New Rule" filter mentioned
  below.  Here's why.  When I deleted that filter with its default
  settings, a couple of other filters that were below it and were not
  working DID work when I refiltered the Inbox.

>> FWIW, I reviewed all my filters and found I had a filter named "New
>> Rule" that had no conditions and no actions. I have since deleted
>> it, so maybe that was the source of the problem.

AM> I'm not sure how such a filter would work, if it would match messages
AM> even though no matching parameters/criteria were defined.

  Intuitively, one would expect that if there were no parameters
  specified in a filter then nothing would match it, however that does
  not appear to be the case. As I'm sure you realize, the "New Rule"
  filter is simply the default setup when you start creating a new
  filter and then move off it without making any changes. It doesn't, by
  default, have "continue processing" checked.

  Perhaps the programmers might "code against" user error by having The
  Bat! issue a warning when the user accidentally exits a "new" filter
  without making any changes, such as specifying conditions. Or they
  might be able to code things so that such a rule would not process ANY
  message, sort of like the medical admonition to "do no harm."

  I should have had a clue that the filter that was acting on this
  message was NOT the filter I had defined since that one was titled,
  "Yahoo! Groups Notification" and Bill McCarthy's suggestion to test it
  yielded the result that the messages were processed by "New Rule." But
  I didn't. We live and learn I suppose.

  Thanks to everyone who contributed ideas in helping me resolve this
  issue.

--
Regards,
 Perry

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
-- Quinton Crisp

Using The Bat! v3.0.1.33 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2