Message from "Roelof Otten" on 10/25/04 05:21 PM PT quoted:
I'd be very surprised if such a wish would be fulfilled.
It would be a departure from the current way of thought behind TB.
It would mean TB would change messages after/on sending them.
TB's strongest feature until now is that it doesn't do that.

Apart from that, you'd need an option to add the time/date of sending,
would this kludge be inserted before sending (when you don't know yet,
whether sending is gonna work) or after sending, so you'll save
another message than you'll actually have sent.

No, the best way to keep track of when you sent your message is to BCC
it to yourself. It'll have a Received: header from your ISP and it's
the same as what you sent.

There's also some variables that being overlooked with this potential new feature.

The big one that stands out to me is the fact that the client PC sending the mail is most likely not time sync'ed to an NTP server. I get way more emails than I should that are many minutes off, and in some instances, days off, months off, and years off. You can't rely on the client PC to have an accurate date - unlike most SMTP servers that are sync'ed with an accurate time of day.

Two more variables that stick out to me are time zone differences and network glitches.

I'm not an e-mail header expert, and I don't play one on television. However, I think you'd have some success with looking at the "Received" headers in the e-mail message. There is a time/date stamp for each server that sees the mail, and I'm thinking that you can trace it back to the originator's SMTP server. Perhaps someone on the list could confirm/deny this as a possible solution.

On paper, I think this is a cool feature. My personal opinion is that a lot more thought needs to go into it before implementing it.

--
-MikeD