Spike,

I didn't do any snipping to keep track of the issue. Sorry for anyone
who has a slow modem connection.

Sunday, November 14, 2004, 10:16:41 AM, you wrote:

MR>> I'm having a nuisance issue with TheBat! I'm using the latest
MR>> version although this problem occurred before in 2.x.

MR>> Some preliminary info:
MR>> - I have my files on my server. The folders 'available offline' so I
MR>>   can always access them.
MR>> - I made the tests below with virus scanning turned off to remove that
MR>>   as a possible problem.
MR>> - I turned off mail checking during the testing (at startup and after
MR>>   x minutes).
MR>> - I removed the spam filter (Bayes Filter) for the tests.

MR>> Now the problem:

MR>>   I log off, disconnect from network,

S> When you log off from the network (and your server) you are
S> disconnecting TB! from the message bases!

MR>> then log and open TheBat! When I close the program, the process
MR>> (in Task Manager) ends immediately upon exiting.

S> Normal, as the program has been disconnected from its data.

The program is not disconnected from it's data. I am using Windows XP
'Offline files'. With it I always have my TB data available, even when
I'm not connected to the network. I certainly don't have any
connection to the e-mail server (outside of my office).

MR>> I log off or restart, connect to network, and log on and open
MR>> TheBat! When I close the program, the process (in Task Manager)
MR>> takes over 2 minutes to end.

S> TB! is probably set to COMPRESS the message bases on exit.

Yes, it does compress. After the compress (when a dialog box is
plainly showing) the program 'appears' to close. But, upon looking at
the Task Manager, there is still a process, 'thebat.exe'. That process
remains for about 2 minutes, using CPU cycles.

MR>> Another point: Whenever I open TheBat! (in either situation listed
MR>> above) it takes about a minute for all the folders to display.
MR>> During that time TheBat! process is taking most or all of the CPU
MR>> resources.

S> You likely have a large amount of messages, which have to be
S> re-indexed due to the above mentioned disconnection (possibly
S> corruption) of the indexes.

I have done a folder maintenance for all folders. Is there another
place I should be reindexing the message base?

MR>> I'm wondering if there is something fundamentally wrong with the
MR>> installation. Should I uninstall and reinstall the program? Is
MR>> there another test I should run to figure out why this is
MR>> occurring?

S> No, this is probably normal, but your habit of disconnecting from the
S> message bases will eventually cause message base corruption (or
S> worse).

S> Let TB! finish its housekeeping before disconnecting from the server
S> and hence the message bases.  I have seen this before on a client's
S> machine.

I typically don't close out of the network before TB closes. What I
have to do now is wait 2 minutes after TB closes so that it's really
out of the active processes. This is sometimes a pain.

S> Anyone else have another explanation??

Yes, anyone else....

Thanks.

--
Michael Rudnick
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Using The Bat! 3.0.1.33 on Windows 5.1 (2600) Service Pack 2