> Dear Henry,
>
> I actually rather dislike replies to a person on a mailing list being
> addressed just to the list even more than the (pretty poor) habit of
> allowing TB's default of associating a person's name with the list
> address (shudder). I firmly believe that the method I (and many others
> here) use is the best of all worlds. You can see that I have replied
> to you directly and so can everyone else. Yet I still make it clear
> that the message addressed to you is not going to your email address.

To each his own, I guess.  When I check mailing list messages to see
if someone has replied to me, I know by the subject line (that is,
unless I forget what question I asked).  Also, if a person is replying
to me on the mailing list, I would hope he would begin the message by
saying, "Henry".  I don't pay attention to the "to" line, unless I
need to check to make sure that I am replying to the correct list or
person (if it's a direct reply).  But again, that's just my own
preference.  Thanks for the suggestions, though, and this sure is a
useful list.

With peace,

Henry

--