On Mon 14 February 2005, 1:17:27 +1000, Peter Fjelsten wrote:
RA>> Yes there may be a problem in there, although that should just put a
RA>> couple of blank lines after the greeting and before the cursor. If
RA>> Stuart continues to have a problem there, I will try to debug it
RA>> again.
>
> I have also just tried it (and I like it!). I also get the problem with
> extra lines. It appears that if you reply to just one person, there are
> n additional lines. If you add another person to that message there are
> n+x extra lines. X != 1.

I'll look at it again then.

> Things you might want to consider if you decide to extend the macro:
>
>   * People (like me) might be using the "greeting type based on time of
>     day" which decides with stands in front on the list of names.
>     Therefore you should possibly not add any type of greeting. Also,
>     the fixed "hi all" might not be fitting if you also answer mail to
>     non-English-speaking people?

Well, it is not fixed, it is a parameter that you can change called
%_GAR_Default. It is not particularly easy to set a QT up to meet
everyone's requirements, but I included a section at the beginning of
the QT that says:

   %REM="
      Adjust the %_GAR_Max and %GAR_Default values in the next lines to
      suit your needs
   "%-
   %_GAR_Max=4%-
   %_GAR_Default="Hi all,"%-

I haven't done much macro writing for TB! v3, but I think you can
provide parameters when you call the QT now. That would be another way
to do it. I invite anyone who wants to try to incorporate this to update
the QT.

>   * Maybe another possible extension could be to also greet people in
>     the CC field in parentheses - like Hello Bill (Bob, John)?

I believe that the convention is one does not directly address the CC
list. Certainly that is what I do. So this wouldn't do what I want from
the QT.

Of course, the macro & QT library is just a starting point for the rest
of us to create our own automations for TB!, so anyone is free to rework
it to their heart's content.

> I really like the aka: bit.

Thanks. I find it very useful and use a similar mechanism to define
default message receipt and message reading confirmations on a user
basis and also default signature files on a user basis.

--
Robin

Using The Bat! v3.0.1.33 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2