   ***^\     ."_)~~
 ~( __ _"o   Was another beautiful day, Wed, 2 Mar 2005,
   @  @      at 00:24:03 -0500, when Jack wrote:

> Any solutions to this problem?

I wasn't dealing with Chinese characters, but generally TB makes in the
very same way impossible a direct copy/paste actions, when some "other"
character sets are involved. An example is that, if I have to c/p
correctly some text written in CP 1250, or 1251, or ISO-2 etc, I have to
insert it in Word (MS), or in Write (Open Office), then to save it
(usually in .ans format) so that the text would retain the proper format
and fonts, and then to open it in Edxor (a text editor I use instead
Notepad), then to copy all the text, and then to paste it in TB. (-:

This is most 'advanced' solution I was able to monkey out, with what I
have on disposal, counting in my own technical and other limitations.

When I was dealing, for a short time, with Japanese parts of text, I had
to carry out, basically, the very same procedures, using external
editors capable to read Shift-JIS encoding. TB would display all
Japanese correctly but a direct c/p was and remained just a dream.

So, it was *much* easier if such and similar texts were prepared in an
other format and sent as attachments, or simply sent using some other
mailer.

The situation is very similar to the mythical UTF-8 case: it is nice to
know that this "feature" "will work", "someday", but in the meantime
(which sometimes lasts for years) we have some things to do. (-:

This is my experience and I am not aware of anything better, as to TB.
In this regard.

I was not dealing with the Japanese and similar encoding on a daily
basis, just occasionally (while the problems described above with CP
1250/51 and ISO-2 I accept as a bearable pain), but if *you* do, might
be then that keeping some additional mailer handy is not so bad idea.

FoxMail is known for a good work with several Chinese (and other
"eastern") encodings, so you could perhaps try this one too. After all,
it is a Chinese 'product' and should behave well in its own environment.
(-:

Another solution, as an addition to TB, would be some better mailer in
Linux environment (perhaps some Kmail, coming usually with KDE desktop),
where you could write/read (almost?) everything: Chinese, Japanese,
Tibetan, Sanskrit, Hebrew, Zulu... But I don't know if such solution
would be economic for you, in terms of investment, as for time and
possible new learnings.

Btw, your message is coming using charset=ISO-8859-15, while you are
trying to display Chinese characters coming from GB2312 charset, as I
understand.

- --
Mica
PGP key uploaded at: <http://pgp.mit.edu/> once just before breakfast
:crazy:
[Earth LOG: 182 day(s) since v3.0 unleashing]
OS: Windows 98 SE Micro Lite Professional IVa Enterprise Millennium
    with nestled ZipSlack(tm) 9.1 UMSDOS Linux, and with Bochs 2.1.1
    with a small DLX Linux; and, for TB sometimes, Gentoo and Vector
    via Wine...