Melissa Reese writes:

> ...I have mixed feelings if a small caveat is not appended. While
> *never opening any attachments* will indeed keep one "relatively
> safer" than if one were to *never* open any attachment, if the
> admonition to not open *any* attachment is taken too literally, the
> usefulness of the Internet in this respect can be somewhat diminished
> for the end user.

In practice, I open messages with F10 in TB in order to examine the
original text of the message if they are marked as containing
attachments.  If it is clear that none of the attachments contain
executable code, then I'll open the message normally.  I won't open
anything that can contain executable code.  That includes Flash
animations.  I'll open still photos, plain text files, and a few others
that I know to be safe, and nothing else; everything else I delete from
the message in order to recover the space.  I'm sure I've missed many
cute animations of dancing babies and dogs and self-transforming
Volkswagens and so on.

I have only Microsoft viewers installed on my machine, so I can open
Word documents and the like, because the viewers can't run macros.

--
Anthony
Using The Bat! v3.0.1.33 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600