Hello Anthony,

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 16:48:35 +0200 GMT (04/04/2005, 21:48 +0700 GMT),
Anthony G. Atkielski wrote:

>> They are better than nothing.

AGA> Yes, but safe computing practices are better than A/V products, and they
AGA> are free and do not interfere with the functioning of the OS.

You missed the point.

>> Firewalls have nothing to do with AV software.

AGA> They have a lot to do with safe computing, though.  In theory, if you
AGA> can trust your OS to service open ports properly, you may not need a
AGA> firewall.  In practice, many operating systems can't be trusted that
AGA> far, especially in the case of general-purpose ports like those used by
AGA> Windows for remote RPC or NetBIOS.

I am not talking about ports. I am talking about attached files that
may or may not be infected.

>> Correct, but impractical.

AGA> It's very practical.  I've been doing it for years.

You are not in business or academy. In those fields, attached files
with macros are common.

>> I receive Excel files with executable code in the office. These are
>> legit, and I need to open them. How would I know whether one is
>> infected with a virus? - Only by scanning it.

AGA> Of course, if it's a virus your scanner doesn't recognize, you'll be
AGA> infected, anyway.

Right. There is no 100% protection, if you need to open those files.
But some protection is better than none. This is where the quality of
AV software (freeware or pay-for-ware) comes into the equation.

>> Please educate me how to tell an infected file from a clean one
>> without a virus scanner.

AGA> You don't run files unless they are from a trusted source.  Files from a
AGA> trusted source are clean by definition;

This is utter nonsense. I receive files from people who sent me files
before. How do I know they haven't been infected in the meantime?

AGA> files from untrusted sources are never run, so it doesn't matter
AGA> if they are clean or not.

I see. To the extent that I scan the attachments if I really need to
see them. Which does happen. What's a "trusted source" anyway? I get
business proposals from people who attach company profiles. I don't
know these people. Should I reject all proposals from people who I
don't know yet? Unlikely.

Be reasonable.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

What to not say to the nice policeman: I was trying to keep up with
traffic. Yes, I know there is no other car around--that's how far
ahead of me they are.

Message reply created with The Bat! 3.0.2.10
under Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600Service Pack 2