Hello Stuart!

On Thursday, May 12, 2005, 1:36 PM, you wrote:

>   Can someone answer a couple of questions about attachments.

I will try, for the few that I know the answer to.

>   I  currently  keep  my  attachments  with my messages, but have been
>   contemplating  the  idea  of keeping them separate. What are some of
>   the advantages/disadvantages?

I keep mine separately. I don't know whether it's true, but my reason
is that I think they would be easier to retrieve from the backup file,
if necessary.

>   Do all accounts share the same attachment folder or is it by account
>   or by folder?

Each account has a separate Attachments folder. I've just looked in my
TB! directory--the path is The Bat!/MAIL/m.bull/Attach, and they are
all accessible, a separate file to each attachment, arranged
numerically/alphabetically.

>   I  assume if you store them separately that the original message has
>   a pointer to the attachment?

The original message keeps its attachment icon. So, I can look in my
sister's folder in my m.bull account on TB!'s folder tree, and have
another look from there at her Retirement "honors" poem, without
having saved that attachment file in "My Documents" or wherever,
necessitating a search through one of my text editors/word processors.

To me it's the best of both worlds--attachment available through my
TB! folder for my sister, or, if I've saved it, through opening it in
a text editor. Further, even if I didn't save it and I remember what
she named it when she sent it to me, I can ask Word or Open Office to
look in C:/Program Files/The Bat!!/MAIL/m.bull/Attach, and retrieve it
to the word processor that way.

>   What  happens  when  you  receive 2 attachments in separate messages
>   that are named the same thing. Does one overwrite the other?

I don't know. I'll try an experiment with that, with some mails to
myself, and see if I can report back to you later on what happens.

>   TIA

You're welcome. However, others may know more about the mechanics of
this and the advantages/disadvantages than I do. :)

Mary
The Bat! 3.5 Return RC8 on Windows XP 5.1 2600 Service Pack 2