> Sounds like that service is turned off or terminated. Can you check under
Start ->> Settings -> System Settings -> Administration -> Services (freely
> translating from German here). Try to see whether there's a Windows
> Installer Service and whether it's running.

That was a great clue.

It was not running but trying to start it comes up with "Error 997:
Overlapped I/O operation is in progress" so it looks like a conflict
somewhere.  I will try removing and reinstalling the service.

Thanks for your help.

--
Best wishes,

Steve Lee