Hi everyone.

Thanks to all who gave advice about setting up transport settings on
The Bat for gmail.  In the process of reorganizing my e-mail accounts
by setting up several gmail accounts, several private domain accounts,
and enabling The Bat to access long-standing accounts at Comcast.net
that I previously accessed only through webmail, I have discovered
that different transport settings are required.

Whereas RCN and Comcast use ports 25 and 110, have "regular"
connections for both outgoing and incoming mail, and do not require
SMTP authentication for sending mail and only "regular" authentication
for receiving mail, in order to send mail through my private domains,
I must set the "send mail" settings to "Secure to regular port
(STARTTLS)" and must set the authentication settings to "Perform SMTP
Authentication (RFC 2554)" and "Use settings of mail retrieval."
G-MAIL not only requires the "secure to regular port" setting for
sending mail, but also requies the use of different ports for both
sending and receiving mail and also requires the "secure to
dedicated port (TLS)" setting in order to receive mail.

Can anyone explain both the technical and practical (functional)
difference between these settings and why these differences exist?

Thanks.

--
Avi
Avram Sacks