Hey, all.

Just wondering if anybody else has seen these problems,
and have already reported it to the ritlab bug tracker. I
spent some time looking on bt, but the closest I found is
0004848. Close, but not what I'm really after. This is 3.60.07
on XP.

These are all problems with non-ascii characters in the
header; specifically, non-ascii characters in the subject
are not handled very well.

First, when receiving emails with encoded non-ascii
subjects, the subject is usually decoded and rendered
properly in the preview pane and the message window
(double click from the preview pane). However, it isn't
rendered correctly in the ticker. A picture of this is at
http://wliao.freeshell.org/subject_vs_ticker.png .

Second, as implied above, the subject isn't decoded
properly all the time. If the header is a single
line, then it seems ok. But, if the subject is folded
across multiple lines, the encoding seems to fall
apart. Compare when folding is handled properly w/ ascii
http://wliao.freeshell.org/multi_line_subject_good.png
and and when not handled properly
http://wliao.freeshell.org/multi_line_subject_bad.png .

Last, there doesn't seem to be a way to compose an email w/
non-ascii subjects. I can input or paste in japanese words,
but they become a series of ???? when I send the email,
or if I click through the header portion of the message
editor. I've been working around this by hand encoding
the subject and then pasting it into the email.

--
WL