Hallo Jeff,

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 23:53:19 +0100GMT (17-10-2005, 0:53 +0200, where I
live), you wrote:

>> It's a matter of principle for some mailing list keepers to change as
>> little as possible (including the Reply-To: header) in the original
>> message before sending it through.
JG> I think that's what I've run into :-)

That's what I gathered from your reply to Robert.

>> I strongly suggest you do this just for the reply template, not for
>> the new message folder template as that's bound to embarrass you when
>> you forget you're in in that particular folder. A reply template is
>> relatively save.

JG> I added:
JG> %TO=""
JG> %TO="the old codgers list"

JG> in the reply template and just sent my first reply, have to see where
JG> it ends up :-)

I guess that would do the trick.

>> In order to get replies to your messages back to that list, just set
>> your own Reply-To: header to the list address.

JG> Funnily enough I did that for this list but changed both the 'from'
JG> and 'Reply-To' fields, go a nasty email from a robot telling me I
JG> wasn't authorised to send emails to the list :-)

Ouch! You should not alter your from address. The Reply-To: and the
From: header are unrelated headers, you can alter one and leave the
other alone. They don't have to be the same, even more so: when they
are the same you don't need the Reply-To: header.
Basically would you should do is to use the from address you're
supposed to do and to set the reply-to to the list address.

There are lists that only insert a reply-to when you don't include it
yourself, so without your reply-to the reply-to is set to the list and
with your reply-to they leave it alone. This is with the idea that you
can indicate where replies to your message should go.
The purest form simply refuses to add 'unnecessary' headers to the
list messages.
Both ideas come from the idea that you should be able to pick the
address for your reply yourself and otherwise you shouldn't be allowed
to run on the internet without a leash.

--
Groetjes, Roelof

Windows: written entirely by and for blondes

The Bat! 3.61.12 Echo (Beta)
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
1 pop3 account, server on LAN
OTFE enabled
P4 3GHz
2 GB RAM