On 25/1/2006 at 6:44:03 AM [GMT -0500], Michael Wagner wrote:

> I am using TB 3.65.03 and having massive problems:

Though I'm using a beta, I do recall using the version you're using and
my problems then, weren't massive. For IMAP, this isn't at all unusual.
User experience seems to vary quite widely and this is likely secondary
to the differences with IMAP server and additionally, how TB! is
configured. As a result of this, some of my comments may well be of no
direct use, but it may add some perspective to the frustrations involved
in trying to use TB! for IMAP. It's largely a luck of the draw, it would
seem.

I use the FastMail service for e-mail. TB! seems to work pretty well
with it.

> - I have often but not surely reproducable access violations in TB

For some time now AV's have been exceedingly rare for me. OTOH, in the
not so recent past, AV's were a frequent part of IMAP use. Too frequent.

> - Sometimes (about once per day) TB hangs and must be sut down via te
> task manager. But worst: It leaves some connections on the mail server
> so that I have to restart that too in order to work again. (I am shure
> there is a timeout when the lost connection gets freed, but I dont
> have that kind of time to wait)

I have no problems like that. However, just to make a point, I used
Mulberry almost exclusively during a time when I found TB! IMAP
unworkable. During the time, Mulberry would crash on sending mail. There
was a specific trigger and it drove me nuts trying to fix it since
others couldn't duplicate it. Turned out to be a setting on the server.

IOW's, don't under-estimate the influence of the server in how things
run. If you're running your own server, you could fiddle where that's
concerned. However, TB! IMAP is unreliable and it's difficult to say who
is to blame whenever there's a problem. I'd fiddle anyway, since your
problems seem particularly crippling and that's unusual, even for TB!.

> - I get crashes nearly reproducable when TB syncs with the IMAP
> server and I try to read/move newly recieved mails

Not here.

> - The mail counting gets on my nerve: I am reading a couple of
> newsgroups and have some filters for this directly on the mail server.
> Every time I want to check my inbox for new mail, TB gets the status
> of ALL folders within my account. How can I disable this? I would like
> to configure which folders should be checked when clicking on the
> "recieve mail" button and which should only be checked when I switch
> into that folder.

I'm afraid this can't be disabled. This is one of the reasons TB! needs
more bandwidth than the other clients. It tends to use bandwidth to run
those checks that you can't disable. You could try disabling the
periodic folder updating found in the IMAP fine tune settings.

On the TB! side, I recommend the following to get the most hassle-free,
as possible IMAP experience. If you're still having problems despite
this, then I'd look into the server settings. If there's still no joy,
I'd join TBBETA and let RIT know about your problems, giving them
details about your server setup. One can only then hope that they'll
look into it.

- set all folders to not synchronise with the server. Folder counts will
still be done, as configured in the IMAP fine-tune settings.

- do not use a server side Outbox. Keep your Outbox local. Too many
problems there.

- Here's a capture of my fine-tune settings for you to look at
http://www.aimlink.name/pics/finetune.png

- avoid nesting and un-nesting folders. You're doing some complicated
shifting of folders on the server when you do this. TB! seems to mess up
for many when they try it. I don't since I'm not feeling lucky!

> I really like TB but these things keep me away from working so I need
> a solution ...

I can imagine. Many IMAP users have stopped using TB! as their main
client. I don't use TB! at work. It's just not suited to the type of
connection I have to deal with at work. However, at home, it's usable
and dare I say, reliably so.

--
  -= Curtis =-
The Bat!™ v3.70.02 Qigong(Beta) / http://specs.aimlink.name