   ***^\     ."_)~~
 ~( __ _"o   Was another beautiful day, Thu, 27 Apr 2006,
   @  @      at 08:13:54 -0500, when Curtis wrote:

> I've always looked at the exit warning dialog with some bemused
> confusion. It says:

> Some tasks are now active. Do you want to exit when they are finished?

> The choices are:

> Yes - I expect it to exit when tasks are finished.

The correct expectation; according to the written, of course.[1]

> No  - Hmmm . No, I wish not to exit? Or No, I wish to exit, but I wish
> not to wait for tasks to complete?

You don't want to exit when tasks are finished. (The thing finishes the
tasks, and remains open.)

> Abort - Abort what??? Abort the tasks and exit? Or abort the shutdown?

As nothing happened, that is as you hadn't this message box ever evoked.

As you were pregnant and then you decided not to be anymore.[2]

> Wouldn't these choices be clearer?

> Yes - I expect it to exit when tasks are finished.

Yep.

> No (Exit Now)

Check it again. (:

> Cancel - that sort of has a universal meaning. Get rid of the dialog and
> let's get on with it.

Yep. The term "Abort" in the context is...doesn't matter, "Cancel" is
better, much better.

> IMO, 'Abort' and 'No' are confusing, or is my brain wired in a funky
> way, as it well may be.

If you perceive it as it well may be, than it is still a good sign. (-:

_____________________

[1] Although it happens never, in practice (or it does happen, but on
Saint Never, in the Stubs Valley, when willow bears grapes, et sim.), so
TB has to be shut down / "killed" / knocked out / (ex)terminated via a
Task Manager or similar.

[2] Though these "tasks" TB is talking about couldn't be finished even
for the critical 3 months, if you would decide to let them be finished.
At least it never happened so far, to anyone, a male or female. As I
know.

- --
Mica
PGP keys nestled at: http://blueness.port5.com/pgpkeys/
[Earth LOG: 603 day(s) since v3.0 unleashing]
OSs: Windows 98 SE Micro Lite Professional IVa Enterprise Millennium
     Windows XP(ee) Micro Lite Professional 1.6, and, for TB sometimes,
     Gentoo and Vector Linuxes via Wine...
 ~~~ For personal mail please use my address as it is *exactly* given
                 in my "From|Reply To" field(s). ~~~